A Place To Learn By Sharing

Helpful information about Adhesion Related Disorder and other conditions that cause Chronic Pelvic Pain. Sharing our experiences...Knowing we are never alone!

Second Opinions

Thursday, July 10, 2008 2 comments

My Husband was working, so my Mom and I flew to Arizona to meet with the new doctor. We rented a car at the airport and drove to a hotel near the hospital. The trip was very hard for me, as I was in a lot of pain.

The next morning, we drove to the hospital for my first appointment. The Doctor entered the room with my documents in hand and introduced himself to us. He was very kind and spent about 30 minutes with us. He looked over my records and was surprised that my previous doctor had not suggested surgery to remove the adhesions. He was also confused by the most recent ultrasound report and wanted to have another ultrasound done. He said that my laparoscopic photos looked a lot like stage IV endometriosis, but an untreated ruptured ectopic could be the cause of the severe adhesions.

Since my hopes were to reduce the pain and try to regain fertility, surgery to cut out the adhesions was my best option. The doctor explained that he would use the Di Vinci robot to perform the complicated laparoscopic surgery and also would apply an adhesion barrier. He thought it would be a good idea to take out my appendix since it had a high risk of being attacked by adhesions. The adhesions would likely be reduced by 50%, and then he would be able to see what my reproductive organs look like. After discussing the options and all of the risks involved, I decided to go forward with the surgery.

Surgery was scheduled for three weeks later. My Mom and I checked out of the hotel, returned the rental car, and caught a flight back home.

2 comments: to “ Second Opinions so far...

  • Laurie July 11, 2008 at 9:50 AM
     

    Wow, interesting story here. I've been in the position of being a perplexing case that yielded all sorts of confusing, conflicting non-answers, so I can sympathize. Keep on writing, and glad to see things are (hopefully) starting to turn around for you.

  • MJ July 11, 2008 at 9:25 PM
     

    I came over here from your comment on Laurie's blog. I'm very interested to hear the rest of your story.

    Please feel free to come on by my blog. I'm a chronic migraine sufferer, and have had migraines most of my life. I only recently started blogging, but I've found it very therapeutic.

    Be well,
    MJ